Four chairs fit around one square table. When two tables are pushed together, it will seat six people. Find a pattern you can use to predict the number of people (chairs) that may be seated at any size table.
Here is a canvas you can work on:
Think about these questions:
- Describe how you see the pattern growing. What stays the same, and what changes in the pattern?
- You may draw pictures, recolor them or write an explanation to make your answer clear.
- Can you draw pictures to extend the pattern?
- How many chairs and tables would you need to build the fourth figure in the pattern?
- What's the number of people you can sit with 9 tables?
- How can you compute the number of chairs in any figure in the pattern?
- Describe how the total number of chairs is related to the figure number (or term number). Try to express it algebraically.